9.27.2008

The End of the Book?

I finally saw what an e-book reader looked like this February. I had been skeptical about a computer's ability to replicate the experience of reading but my mind was changed instantly. There's no doubt in my mind that this is is the way of the future. We can't buy Amazon's Kindle here in Canada but you can order Sony Readers off eBay or online. I got my hands on one of these and surprising, it's light, it's user-friendly, battery-friendly and it doesn't hurt your eyes. I've always loved books but it's about time we acknowledge that it's on it's way out, even if you love the tactile experience of a book. Things are changing quickly: how many iPhones have you seen lately? It's revolutionizing the way we thing about access to knowledge, art, entertainment, information and literature. It's only time before everyone has Wikipedia at their finger tips 24/7. I'm concerned about what this means for me, a book lover, a writer/editor and member of the publishing community. How will this change you?

Here is an article from New York Magazine that the publishing world is talking about. It asks, "Have We Reached the End of Book Publishing as We Know it?"

http://nymag.com/news/media/50279/

No comments: