10.23.2008

On Newsstands Now

I burned through Mayfair News today (Broadway and Granville...support them, they are good) and noticed some gems on the newsstands:

I like Interview with Josh Brolin on the cover. Looks sharp and there are tons of beautiful b&w shots of actors vying for Oscars this season. Kate and Leo are back together for Revolutionary Road (Not Titanic 2! But the trailer with the chilling Nina Simone track is just perfect). The mag also features about 20 pages of conversations between actors and directors. This new Fabien Baron redesign is brilliant.

Also looking quite cool is The Atlantic THINK.AGAIN issue (November 2008). Featuring Andrew Sullivan's "Why I Blog". Here I go again promoting things I haven't read but I like Sullivan in general and I skimmed and it makes sense to me. The blogosphere shows real promise for the renewal of the public forum and the revival of the writer.

Opposite to Revolutionary Road is Four Christmases, which looks like 90 minutes of crap with a barfing baby joke. Nonetheless, Reese Witherspoon is almost always wonderful and she is just glowing on the front page VOGUE - possibly one of their best covers in ages.

I'm a little slow so I finally bought an old copy of September's Vanity Fair Style Issue. The big clunker features a stunning portfolio by "Master of Photography" Mark Seliger. You can check it out online. I don't think there's ever been a better picture of Lindsay Lohan (honestly!).

On a related note, Angie-Brad photoshoot is totally overrated. Looks crappy and the photos were commissioned by W. It's all staged (Angie even had a stylist come in and make her look all pretty). Go buy something else to read.

How about Ricepaper Magazine-- now in its 13th year? Issue 13.3 is available at your specialty book and magazine stores, as well as Book Warehouse and Chapters. You can join our facebook group here... In this issue, Bing Thom, Andy Quan, and Yung Chang. Issue 13.4, edited by yours truly, is going to blow you away. It will hit newsstands early November. Can't wait? Check out the cool cover by Michelle Fung.

No comments: