11.15.2008

Vancouver Votes

Attn: VANCOUVER RESIDENTS

Coming off the crack-y good high of the US Presidential election, small town politics look feeble and sad. Today Vancouver votes and the whole process could not be more of a farce. The major issue of the day is the 'leak' of information about the in-camera deal to bail out the 2010 developments on the waterfront. This is major but our city is facing so many more problems with no commitment to solve them - or solutions, really.

Admittedly, I'm not casting an educated vote today. How would I have time to look through the profiles of all the candidates? There are 15 people running for Mayor (not to mention the menagerie of characters running for councilor, parks board and school board), including Marc Emery, the "Prince of Pot." Aside from Peter Ladner and Gregor Robertson, the two supposed front runners, no one else has received ANY face time from small or major news outlets. The even worse thing is that none of the candidates seem prepared for 2010. In what is to be called a major pipe dream, Furlong is calling for all businesses to give their employees vacation and lend VANOC their employees for the duration of the 2010 games. NO, that is what GM is doing right now in Brampton and Oakville because they don't have enough work -- giving their employees "time off" (or laying them off).

In any case, I guess this is my civic duty so I'm walking up to the polls now. I'm going to stick to the NPA for calling our house once a day for the past 10 days, and putting all sorts of crap through our mail slot, including air fresheners. No, I'm not going to "Get Fresh with Kim Capri." This looks like unwise, environmentally unfriendly spending to me. I'm not going to trust my tax-payer dollars with them.

Go on, go vote!

1 comment:

Paul Holland said...

Hey megan, I very much feel your sorrows about the lack of importance/information/desire to vote in this election.

After looking quickly at the front runners websites I can discern almost no difference between the two candidates.

Their platforms look essentially the same, get rid of homelessness, put on a good olympics, create a booming economy, etc etc.

They are both middle aged, quite wealthy men (albeit ladner looks much older) and I think both of them even have 4 kids.

Gregor has that skytrain fine which I think is kind of absurd, but also in a way kind of cool. And I don't very much like some of Petes ads/speeches, seems he is running a smear campaign of sorts.

So because the two of them are essentially the same person, and I have negative things to attribute to both, and like you I have no time to sift through the Marc Emerys and the 'Nude Garden Parties' platforms. Plus the fact that I am in Aldergrove........ I have decided that casting an uneducated and insincere vote is worse than casting no vote.... so I will use my democratic choice to refrain from choosing.

I think voting in the last two elections should cover for not voting this once, though I do still feel a bit bad about it.