12.06.2008

I Need to Spend More Time at the Newsstand

It's been like this for more than a month but Rolling Stone magazine switched to boring "rack-friendly", letter size. I saw Britney on the cover yesterday and their pathetic shell of a magazine. The new format comes across as something between Time (nasty) and US Weekly (nastier). I remember the days when RS used to get awards for their layouts. It was not so long ago.

An IHT article is here to get you up to speed, if you are slow like me.

2 comments:

Aaron said...

"The consumer we want to reach watches 'Lost' on a big TV screen, on a computer screen and on an iPhone," he said. "They're agnostic on format."

This, I think, is a fatal flaw. People buy magazines specifically for the format. I predict Rolling Stone makes more money in the short run but goes web only in five years.

ML said...

Completely. The paper quality looks bad too....On the other hand, most everything is going to web in five years. I'm just sayin'