12.07.2008

Obsession

I am obsessed with comic book artist, genius, renaissance man, funny dude Chris Ware. Because I am young, (white), and read the NY Times, I also like This American Life. I planned to ignore the TV show indefinitely because we can't get it in Canada; I didn't really want to know what I was missing. But my curiosity got the best of me this morning so I had a look on YouTube. SO, guess how excited I was when I found these cartoons by Chris Ware interpreting Ira Glass's interviews.

The first one is quite cute. It's about the elasticity of our memories and also about how people get married and they can't separate their lives from their spouse's.

The second video is about surveillance and camera culture. It's a bit scary and timely in the wake of the online suicide of Abraham Biggs. The 19-year-old teenager in Florida committed suicide live on the internet as hundreds of web surfers watched - taunting him and offering encouragement.



No comments: